Thursday, October 9, 2008

getting into a routine

Its so nice to be writing this after a week of getting on a schedule.  I feel so much more productive and content now that I have a routine to stick to.  

I started classes on Tuesday and they have been going pretty well so far.  My Cultural Diversity class is amazing.  The entire thing is based on theories of immigration through the entire world with specifics on Italy.  The professor is very engaging and has already taught us some really interesting material.  My Italian class is also great!  She refuses to speak any English to us which is nice because we are having to learn quickly although it takes my brain a little while to wake up when we have that class first thing in the morning.  That class meets for 2 hrs and 15 minutes twice a week but she does a great job of entertaining us with different games and conversations so it never seems that long.   Organizational behavior is one of my other classes and is probably the biggest joke of a class ever.  So far we have learned what a manager is and what the term behavior means.  Really tough concepts.  I'm not complaining though (despite the fact that the class is tearfully boring) because its nice not to have class stress this semester.  My last class, history of parma is interesting.  We will be taking a lot of trips during class to see things around the city (such as the Parmesan factory!) which will be good.  He's not a very interesting professor, but I think the subject matter will be enough to keep us entertained.  

I also found a great place to go running around my apartment yesterday!  It had been so long since I ran and it felt absolutely incredible.  It takes me about 7 minutes to run to the park and then the park has 2 different levels where you can run and is perfect for people watching.  I was so excited to find it!  

My first cooking class was this week too!  We made spaghetti alla carbonara.  I wasn't a big fan of it, but everyone else seemed to love it so I wrote down the recipe so I can make it for you guys some other time.  On top of learning how to make that, the host mother also made us 4 other courses!  It was a ridiculous amount of food, but you just have to learn how to pace yourself.  The whole night was great because we got to sit around the table and have a 2 hour dinner together and chat about everything.  It will definitely be one of the highlights of my weeks here.

This weekend I am headed to Lisbon, Portugal!  I have done a lot of research for it so hopefully we'll be able to see all the highlights.  It is supposed to be gorgeous weather when we get there tomorrow, but then rain Saturday and Sunday so cross your fingers that that isn't the case.  We'll still have a great time for sure, but I would love to see some sunshine.  I'll be sure to post pictures when I get back and let you know how it went.  

I hope all of you are doing well!

Love,
E

No comments: